Many people, including many of our staff, think of vacation as a break from everyday life. It is a time when it’s okay to stop checking our emails, indulge in our favorite foods, and forget about our workouts. In fact, embracing a healthy lifestyle while on vacation can not only be fun and easy, but it can offer you some of the most unique and authentic travel experiences. It’s in these moments when you can soak up the city’s bustling energy and truly engage with the locals. Instead of taxis and subways, think about walking everywhere while you’re in New York City: seeing the sights, shopping, visiting museums…they’re all wonderful forms of light exercise in disguise. If running is more your style, there are so many beautiful routes to choose from including Central Park, Battery Park, and the Westside Highway to name a few favorites, that exploring the city is easier than you ever imagined.
One of the best things about visiting NYC in the summer is that there are countless ways to feel great and keep fit while also enjoying the great outdoors! We’ve compiled a list of some amazing outdoor workouts that run from June through August and promise to make you sweat. We guarantee that if you take part in one, you’ll leave with a unique New York experience that you’ll absolutely never forget! The best part is that all of these workouts are completely FREE!
If you’re a runner…
- Head down to the North Plaza in Union Square Park and join the Running Club with Paragon Sports – Tuesdays, 6:30PM
For some stretching and yoga…
- Perform your sun salutations in the South Plaza in Union Square with early morning class run by Atmananda –Thursdays, 7AM
- Sacred Sounds Yoga hosts vinyasa classes led by in-house instructor Caprice Abowitt on Garibaldi Plaza, on the east side of Washington Square Park – Wednesdays, 8:30AM
- Yoga with views of the New York Public Library… yes, please! YogaWorks will lead classes in Bryant Park and provide mats as well. – Tuesdays, 10:00AM (on the Upper Terrace) & Thursdays, 6:00PM (on the lawn)
- Vinyasa with Yogamaya on Tenth Avenue in Hudson River Park. – Wednesdays, 6PM
- Om Factory will wind you down in the North Plaza in Union Square – Thursdays, 7PM
Lovers of Crossfit & Boot Camp…
- Reebok will help you complete your CrossFit WOD in the South Plaza in Union Square – Thursdays, 8AM
- Brick New York teaches CrossFit in the North Plaza in Union Square – Thursdays, 6PM
Dancing the night away…
- Spend Happy Hour in the South Plaza in Union Square with Peridance Contemporary Dance Company as they offer classes in salsa, hip-hop and Zumba – Thursdays, 5PM
Of course you can always take advantage of the complimentary passes we offer to any New York Sports Club in the area, but why not try something different? Even if you have a packed itinerary, we suggest taking some time for yourself and trying one of these workouts. We promise you won’t regret it
Looking for more FREE or low cost activities to enjoy in New York City this summer? If you want to explore the city by sail, or enjoy the rich cultural opportunities in New York City, you’ll find great advice here and by speaking to your Library Hotel Collection Concierge team. If you get a little hungry after a great workout, you may enjoy some of the outdoor dining options that the five boroughs have to offer. Bon Appétit!
Should you need any help at all planning your days or would like more information on any of these exhibits, please do not hesitate to contact us at service@BookLHC.com.